Wednesday 19 October 2011

Shakespeare - Hamlet

Have read this one many times in the past as well, this time as required reading for Birkbeck Scene Study. I think my read this time was influenced by having just read Othello the day before, but i really felt the stagnancy of the pace in Hamlet's first acts this time around. Although much happens, the movement of the play is rather sustained until nearly the point when the Mousetrap is played, after which it spirals quickly.

Sort of fuelled by class discussion today as well, I began to think of where the climax is in the plot of hamlet. I almost feel that the play steadily rises at a crazy level of intensity until one moment; for me, the deaths at the end of the play are a denouement, the inevitable consequence of a decision. The climax, then, is the moment when Hamlet finally reasons with himself to the decision to kill Claudius. From here, the tension between action and inaction is imbalanced, moving swiftly from one action to the next.

3 comments:

  1. I think that I agree with you, having read Othello for the first time recently. I also like to compare it to The Winter's Tale, though, because Othello and Leontes have similar situations that seem to end similarly but they are such different people. I wonder at the differences between these two characters and yet they are so very similar as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is an eerie coldness to Winter's Tale that is right in the words that is amazing. I love that play :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, even watching it emanated a cold feeling. Even during the spring part it felt a little stiff and sad.

    ReplyDelete